And so another week passes.
A week of ups and downs, a week of occasional internal conflict yet a week of self-acceptance.
Great =)
**
Anyway on Thursday, I had my first site-observation at Queensberry Child Care Centre. After 6 refusals from other childcares, Queensberry's acceptance came unexpected, but nonetheless a relief.
The kids were spectacular though it proved a challenge to observe a full 15-minute playful behavior. Almost every observation I attemped lasted about 5-10 minute! At one point I felt like just grabbing them at their collars and say "Hey you sit there and play and don't move! And act as if I'm not eyeing you!"
But of course I couldn't do that. Just a thought.
My efforts were finally rewarded when I observed three children role-playing in a playhouse. Although strictly speaking I wasn't allowed to participate, but how can you prevent them from noticing this over-sized kid, sitting on an used tire, eyeing them from their window (of their playhouse) with her pen furiously taking down whatever her eyes perceive?
So it was only natural that I was offered their "cheesecakes/pizzas/pancakes" freshly baked from their "oven". Oh-s0-familiar.
**
I particularly got engaged with a Vietnamese girl, who began telling me her family history. Out of the blue, you would think, coming from a four-and-a-half-year-old. Around other kids, she seemed reserved, she sounded more matured, yet there seemed to be a longing the way she held her gaze on others.
We were walking around the monkey bars and she seemed hesitant to cross-over. I nudged, "Why don't you give it a try?" and then she tried but quickly retreated to the platform after a bar.
"Do you want me to....?" I retracted my intention as soon as it was uttered, upon realization that I was only allowed to observe them. What with without the strict police checks and Working with Children permit.
But she quickly replied, "Yeah I could do it with some help."
Reacting on gut instinct, I supported her over, extra cautious not to let her fall. She chuckled and that lifted my spirit.
"Hey you wanna know who my best friends are?", she later asked.
"Oh sure! Are they here too?"
"Yeah! See that boy there, he's Ryan!"
"Ohhh..."
What she uttered next silenced me.
"But he's white.. and my other best friend is that girl there, she's as black as me."
And she went quiet after that.
**
I hope that's the extent to what she's seeing.
**
I left quietly soon after because I can't stand separations.
Bless you..
P.S. Sometimes you learn more from them.
Saturday, 4 April 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Just like what you've found out, just now I only get to know that working with children requires a whole long tedious procedures like police checks and stuff. They say it takes quite a while if you really want to volunteer with kids. Hmm.
By the way your site visit sounds cool! =D
yaaa i know! her visits all sound so fun... lol let me tag along too meishan!xD
oh hmmm, that girl sounded as though she's gone through racial discrimination or something =S I heard that's common here, but I hope its not happening to kids as young as 4 years old =S
Jia Yen: yeah it's standard procedure here, but it's probably worth going thru it? haha yeah it's good experience. Hopefully I can say the same with the essay about it. hahaha
Jian: hahaha lol, come along! You'll probably be a better disguise hahahaha.
Yeah.. There was this short scene when she was taunted by this other girl, I feel quite sad for her. It shouldn't be what kids her age come to terms with. Not yet.
Post a Comment